According to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), toddlers can safely sleep with a pillow and a blanket once they’ve graduated from a crib to a big kid’s bed, but make sure to choose something made specifically for your little one (not your adult-sized sleep sack, body pillow situation).
With so many options (down, foam, firm, light as a feather), it shouldn’t be a chore to find the perfect place for your toddler to lay their head at night. But, there are a few things to consider before you make the big purchase.
- Size: When selecting a toddler pillow, think like Goldilocks—not too big or too small. If you’re looking for a contoured fit, you might need a smaller pillow whereas a taller toddler might need something larger. It’s also important to note whether the pillow is compact enough to on the road.
- Material: Down, cotton, polyester, microfiber, down—pillows come a lot of different ways. The trick is to find one that’s not only breathable, but safe, comfortable, and mold and mildew resistant.
- Support: There’s a lot to think about when it comes to support because of a toddler’s body mechanics. According to leading pediatricians, the biggest thing to look for in a pillow is proper spinal support. Whether it’s firm or soft, ensure the height of the pillow aligns with your child’s neck to avoid discomfort or injury.
- Maintenance: Toddler are notoriously messy so you’ll likely want to find a pillow you can throw in your best washer and dryer for easy cleanup, but also one that holds its shape and softness.
The best toddler pillow options 2023
My Little Dreamy Pillow
With more than 26,000 five-star reviews on Amazon, this toddler pillow by KeaBabies is a hit among parents everywhere. The ergonomically-designed, kid-tested and approved pillow provides the correct spinal support while maintaining its lightweight, cozy feel.
The polyester fiber filling is made from Certified Cotton and Certified CU, meeting international OEKO-TEX standards. That means this “Climate Pledge Friendly” pillow is screened for things like lead, carcinogenic dyes, and pesticides to ensure your child’s safety from anything harmful.
More than 20 pattern options sure to dazzle your little one, the My Little Dreamy Pillow is durable, machine washable, and perfect for travel. It’s no wonder it’s been deemed the best toddler pillow overall.
- Retains shape even after washing
- Breathable, fun fabric
- Provides ideal spinal support vetted by chiropractors
- Kid-tested and approved
- Some reviewers stated the pillow is smaller than expected, though our experience found the pillow to be appropriately sized for toddlers